Always looking for inclusive games with great stories. Mainly text-focused and single-player experiences, plus puzzle games, 2D platformers, brawlers, RPGs. Not a fan of first-person cameras. Main platform is on Steam, but decided to join itch.io to access a greater range of indie games.
Since itch.io doesn't have a curation system or public ratings option, please scroll down for lists of titles by theme and genre, and click on any collection to see the reviews.
Focus is on mentioning what is present in a given game. Typical items discussed include:
* Financial accessibility - games that are free, pay-what-you-want, have community copies or the option to request a free copy from the devs
* Protagonist gender options (including pronoun options where applicable)
* Genders of romanceable characters (and whether romance is compulsory)
* Playable people of colour
* Playable wheelchair users
* Main characters with mental health conditions
* Main characters who practice real-world religions
* Canon LGBTQIA+ characters
This is not a platform for accessibility teardowns - there are other people out there with greater knowledge on that front. However, any obvious accessibility features (such as a 'colourblind mode' in a settings menu, for example) will get honourable mentions in reviews.
REVIEW SCORES EXPLAINED
E - Early Access product, review score may change once it is finished.
***** – Outstanding. Breaks with convention and pulls it off with aplomb. Extremely enjoyable.
**** – Excellent. A solid investment that offers good value. Does almost everything expected from it well and with style.
*** – Enjoyable. Definitely worth giving a chance, but some aspects may be off-putting to potential buyers.
** – Serviceable. Try before you buy. Delivers on its premise adequately. Minor to moderate flaws make the experience frustrating at times, but there are no dealbreakers.
* – Avoid. Any positives are vastly outweighed by negatives. May be broken, bigoted, boring and/or just plain bad.
No score given – Product unfinished. This is only used when discussing advertisements, demos, upcoming games and so on.
Reviews of games with LGBTQIA+ characters and/or themes.
Reviews of games that focus on gender identity.
Reviews of interactive experiences designed with younger players in mind.
Reviews of tabletop roleplaying games.
Reviews of puzzle games.
Game development tools and educational resources from the 2020 Racial Justice and Equality bundle.